Subject: Re: [Leica] Report on Piezography
From: George Hartzell <hartzell@cs.berkeley.edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 20:27:23 -0700 (PDT)

While the 3000 will happily print w/ color inks, it isn't nearly close
to being dotless.  For color printing, the Epson 1270 is the state of
the art.

People seem to love the 3000 because of it's economy (large ink cart's
and easily refilling).  Since the peizography tools don't need to
dither and the apparent resolution is so much higher, the slightly
retro technology in the 3000 isn't a problem.

Jon's talking about a Peizography set for the 1160 (I think that's the
model...), which is a four color printer w/ the same itty-bitty dot
size as the 1270.  He thinks it'll make marginally better prints but
be much more expensive to operate (it uses smaller, harder to refill
ink cartridges) and (I think) it's constrained to smaller papers.

With color printing and dithering, it's a whole different story.

g.