Subject: [Leica] Non Invasive focus tab/ was Shades of hoods!
From: Cmrausr@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 16:34:19 EDT

I have on my new style 50 Summicron a wide plastic cable tie which is used by
heating and A/C folks to secure insulation around ductwork. It is
approximately the width of the knurled portion of the focus ring, and the
back side of the tie is serrated so that it holds securely to the focus ring
itself. The locking tab itself works as the focus tab. If you are careful
while tightening the tie you can make it tight enough to stay in place while
you focus, but you'll still be able to slide the tie off and reposition it to
fit the location of the locking tab to the position you like best.

After you've tightened the tie and are able to slide it off without too much
force, just cut the end of the tie that is extended through the locking tab
flush with the tab itself. (the tie that I use is 48" long to start with) The
tie won't mar the lenses finish in any way. I've had mine on and off the lens
several times, and have had no problems.

The ties are very inexpensive, and can be found in any large hardware store
that sells electrical or heating/AC supplies. The one that I'm using right
now is gray in color, but I believe they are also made in black, if you want
to keep that black professional appearance. I've also seen them in
international orange if you really want to be seen.

Scott Stewart