Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V16 #96
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 12:51:44 EDT

In a message dated 4/6/00 3:04:46 AM, Walter writes:

<< Is film photography here for the long haul?  At some point, digital imaging
materials and processes will likely become as good as the best analog
methods, and at an economical price. >>

All technologies have an inevitable growth curve, starting from small
beginnings, peaking for an a period, then starting a decline as newer
technologies emerge. They never disappear entirely but are practiced at a low
level for nostalgic purposes. Think of the technologies that have been
superceded in photography over its two century life span. Daguerrotypes,
calotypes, wet collodon, reseau color plates, glass plates, carbro color
printing, dye transfer, and, to a great extent B&W (this will raise a few
hackles) photography. I was an avid 8mm movie maker 20 years ago. My first
computer was a Commodore Pet with tape cassette storage. My great grandfather
hunted with a muzzle loading rifle. My wife's grandfather was a seaman on a
sailing ship. My father was born about the time the horseless carriage
started replacing horses. My mother was born the exact day the Wright
brothers made their first flight. I lived most of my early years without
television - and so on.

Film is indeed on its inevitable decline. Trade sources estimate that digital
cameras will outsell film camers by 2002. The Kodak annual report states that
the company will receive most of its revenues from non-silver products within
a few years. Six megapixel cameras which will probably provide almost the
imaging capabilities of 35mm film will be available in the comsumer market
before years' end. Nine megapixel cameras, which will equal 35mm capabilites,
should soon follow. Inevitably someone will make a digital camera body which
will enable you to use your Leica lenses. Can digital bokeh be far behind?

LarryZ