Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital image storage
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 17:27:37 EDT

Fears about obsolescence and deterioration of magnetic storage media are well
placed. The half life of a specific magnetic format is about five years. I
have a drawer full of 5 1/4" magnetic discs that I no longer have the
equipment to read. My research lab has reels of magnetic tape dating back 20
years that are well on their way to decomposition. Even my 3 1/2" floppies
can no longer be read by my newest computer. Last year I started burning my
own CD-roms for long term storage of valuable data and intend to transfer my
image files to them. A 650MB CD disc holds more than100 scanned images, costs
less than a dollar and, according to the manufacturer, will last until the
next century. Because of the enormous base of music CDs and the emergence of
DVDs, equipment should be around to play them until then. By the end of this
year, I should be able to store my lifetime file of 10,000 negatives on
CD-roms in a couple of shoe boxes and call up any image to print of a high
quality ink jet printer.

I won't scrap my Leicas in favor of digital cameras, at least not yet. I
will, however, store the resulting images in a more convenient and durable
format.

LarryZ