Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica foto nƒ3 and the eFilm and the C1
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 15:12:43 -0500

Nathan Wajsman wrote:
>Why? Many of the objections raised in the article (correctly, in my view)
>to the
>digital insert also apply to any digicam, alebeit to a lesser degree. You
>still
>have to take a computer or an inordinate number of storage cards with you
>when
>going on a trip; you still suffer from the focal length change of the lenses,
>etc. And all this to get inferior quality compared to film.
>
>Nathan
>
>Henry Ambrose wrote:
>
>> As for me - I want a digital M camera. Just take the RF section from the
>> M6 and graft it onto whatever kind of box it takes to do the digital
>> part. Make it great - I'll buy one!
>>
>> Henry Ambrose

Not how they are now (how point and shoot digital cameras are currently)
But how they could be. And will be soon I hope.

Already we have big digital SLRs that give good image quality and have
very high capacity storage and they cost way too much.

But right now you can buy a 340MB (or even @500MB)hard drive card for a
digital camera for $300-400. Thats LOTS of space. And if you erase your
unwanted pictures as you work you can shoot with that a long time!

Focal length change is suffering?
The way it works now you get the best part of the lens (the center) and
some new focal lengths. Like on the Nikon D1 you can have a 70-75 f1.4
(approximately) by using your 50. The 20 is about a 30.  Its just
different, not so bad I think. If you use long lenses its great! a 300 is
a @420mm!
And with the small sensor area you could have waayyy plenty of coverage
from a lens with movements!

The quality of the sensors is rapidly improving.  The newest cameras are
pretty good. Soon they will be excellent. And I guess the sensor size
will grow which will negate the current focal length change situation.

We already have the glass.
I want a Leica digital body. R or M, either or both.
Or a body that uses Leica lenses. Its just got to be excellent.

NOT last years (or older) technology.

Henry Ambrose