Subject: [Leica] R8 motor exosure bracketing
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 16:06:20 -0800

Hi folks,

I've just looked at a some slide rolls where every image was controlled
by the auto bracketing of the R8 motor and camera.  Amazing!

A very distinct difference frame to frame, no question it does the job
it was designed for.  We tried it under various lighting conditions,
even some situations where I wouldn't normally bracket and it's great.
Now I have no excuse for not having bracketed images.  In the future
when asked...

Editor,  "Did you bracket this shot?  Me, " No!"    Editor, " Too bad,
if it were only a 1/2 stop darker it would be gorgeous."

Now in those situations where bracketing should take place, I don't have
any excuse for not "bracketing!"    You realize of course this means the
film bill goes up, but then the stock sales should also
rise....dramatically I trust! :)

For those of you who are not R8 users,  therefore unfamiliar with the
accuracy of the R8 metering system let me say this,  the metering of the
R8 is so extensively correct under the wildest and best of light
conditions one tends to become a lazy "exposure photographer," accepting
the camera selection as is.   Because you know without question,  it's
going to be correctly exposed .

In cases where one "should bracket" but don't because  knowing the
camera will deliver a correct exposure, one tends not to bracket simply
because you know it's damn well going to be right on the mark!  That
doesn't necessarily make the end result image have the most "dramatic"
exposure!

Now with this new motor tool for bracketing the exposures off  quickly
and efficiently,  I intend to make extensive use of it during situations
where bracketing is a bonus for future sales.

Even though we've waited 4 years to lock motor to body, it does appear
this is a winner of a motor.  It's fast enough and efficient for loading
and re-winding. It's quiet and doesn't appear to be  noise distracting
like those "high pitch whining"  other machines when you hit frame 36.

Interesting piece of gear this R8 motor!  Certainly worth the wait!

ted