Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 birth! :)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 07:49:42 -0800

"B. D. Colen" wrote
(clipped)
> in regard to what heavy cameras eventually do to the necks and shoulders on
> which they hang; and in regard to how heavy they make an equipment bag...

Hi B.D.
I never thought about weight factor years ago when I became a working
pro with Speed Graphics, big wet cell 30 lb. strobe packs on the
shoulder. Then the weight factor grew as we began switching to 35mm
cameras, more of them with piles of lenses in the bags.

Eventually a number of things happen.

Later in life you begin to have back problems from hanging everything
always, in my case, on the left shoulder, the left side of your body is
stronger than the right and becomes medically seen as more developed.
None of which do you any good!

Today I carry less and use a light weight photo vest to spread equipment
weight across the breadth of the shoulders and equally over the body. If
not, your body is a basket case one big ache the next day.   Trust
me.....pills don't work to relieve the pain!  You can't be zombied out
on pills and work efficiently as a photographer.

> But there is something otherwise quite odd about camera weight, be the
> camera an EOS, F5, etc., and that is that if the camera is well balanced,
> and does what you want it to do as your photographic tool, it somehow
> doesn't feel heavy...Interesting phenomenon...>>>>>>>>>>>

This is so true and that's how you become seduced into carrying more and
more, as you don't relate to the weight, simply because you "think"  you
need it all at your finger tips as the situations change rapidly.

At one time I espoused:  "I'd rather have a sore back at the end of a
day than not have the lens I required to get the picture.  Than miss the
picture and not have a sore back!"

Whoa!!!!!!!  Was I ever wrong!  I'd be much better off physically if I'd
lost a few images! But then the older we get we do become a "little bit
smarter?" We learn to shoot more efficiently, take our time and keep
gear and life in "KISS" mode!    "Keeping it simple stupid!"

A lesson I try to pass onto younger guys and gals packing great big
equipment bags today.

ted