Subject: Re: [Leica] FS: 70-180mm f2.8
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 07:21:16 -0800

Ted Grant wrote::

 > >It's just a beauty and I hate to part with it, but my assignments are
> >changing and I'm not shooting as much heavy duty indoor where I require
> >the 2.8  and weight.

Pascal responded:
> Whoaw ! Did you use that heavy "dude" to shoot indoors ???
> How did you do that? I would never even think about ... :-)>>>>>>>>>

Lucien said:
<<<Yes, Ted, how ??>>>>>>>

Well I raised the camera to my eye, looked through the viewfinder,
focused on the subject and went "click!" :)    Is there any other way? :):):)

Sorry guys I just couldn't let it go by.  I know,  "OK smart ass how did
you do it?" :)

It takes practice and shoulder strength development of hand holding long
and heavy glass for many years, as well as setting your body for
stability with feet slightly apart.  I hand held the 280mm 2.8 all the
time when working indoors and never used a monopod, as I found them
curtailing movement from location to location.

It wasn't until I injured my right shoulder on my virgin solo "and only
parachute jump" a month after I turned 65 that I had to learn how to use
a monopod.

Holding the 70-180 with the left hand, taking the weight with the left
shoulder and upper arm  while focusing with the left hand index finger
or middle finger and thumb allows the rest of the arm to relax and carry
the weight.  Better if you tuck your left elbow into your body also.

It's not very difficult, it's more difficult trying to explain how to do
it. ;)

As I've pointed out in the past, my son Scott who learned his
camera/lens handling from the old man, but works out of Ottawa., has
hand held a 400 2,8 Canon manual focus for many years. And now works
with  Nikon  to shoot international figure skating .

For an example of what he does look at this web page:

                                   http://www.cyberus.ca/~fsgrant/

Anyway, handling the 70-180 2.8 indoors or anywhere,  like any other
lens big or small, just means practice, practice and more practice to
get the feel and best out of the lens.....and yourself.

So that's how I did it!

ted