Subject: Re: [Leica] screwmount
From: "John Black" <jblack@ambio.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 16:07:13 -0500

Andrei:

The main difference is that the IIIg has a parallax compensated viewfinder
with brightlines for 50 and 90 mm lenses (much like the M3).  The IIIf may
be found in at least 3 different forms: early black dial without timer, mid
red dial without timer and late red dial with self timer.  They are all very
good cameras but the later IIIf (red dials) are considered marginally better
due to, I think, an improved shutter.  If you can get along with the
old-style small finder, the older IIIf is a good deal.  The later IIIf can
be quite expensive, however, bringing up to $750-$1000 USD retail itself
where a good IIIg in EX to EX+ conx can be had for $1100-$1300 USD.  You are
probably seeing the pricing on an older style IIIf for comparison.

JB