Subject: Re: [Leica] screwmount
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 12:34:53 -0700

As you are about to lose your email access till Monday I will share my
inexpert opinions.

The IIIF has a plain viewfinder that covers the field of a 50mm lens.
Shutter speeds are one of the two old types: either 20, 30, 40, 60, 100,
200, etc; or, 25, 50, 75, 100, 200, etc. Flash synchronisation is set with a
dial under the shutter speed dial and must be set to match type of flash. A
large number of IIIFs were produced and it is considered to be a common
camera. Good condition IIIF RD ST can get up around $1000. The IIIF with
self timer is also considered to be one of the most beautiful cameras ever
made.

The IIIG has a viewfinder with automatic parallax correcting framelines for
the 50mm and 90mm lenses. Shutter speeds are the modern style of 30, 60,
125, 250, etc. Flash sync is internal with two different speed positions for
either electronic or bulb. As the M3 was available, in theory, from 1953 and
the IIIG came out in 1957 demand was low and it was produced for only three
or so years, it is considered a rare camera. Mint examples occasionally go
for over $2000 It is not a particularly well proportioned design as it has
the much larger central viewfinder window.

On Monday you can read any kind corrections.

John Collier