Subject: [Leica] The R8 exposure etc. compared to Canon
From: "Gerry Walden" <gerrywalden@cwcom.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 19:32:41 -0000

    I have just finished scanning the first negative film that I have shot
on a commercial assignment using the R8 and negative film.   This is work
that I would normally have shot on the Canon EOS1 under identical
conditions.   The work was taking progress shots for a major construction
company of the interior of a period college building they are refurbishing.
On this I was using the 28-70mm f2.8 (see below re 19mm.)

I was staggered (and I mean that) by the better contrast and sharpness over
the Canon 20-35mm f4.5 lens.   The negatives were, without any doubt in my
opinion) better exposed and sharper than the Canon ones taken previously.
I was using spot metering which I found easy to switch to on the R8 because
it is positioned near the shutter release finger.   On the Canon it is a two
handed operation which you do away from the eye.   Why this camera is
getting so much knocking is beyond me.

Today I have been using the 19mm Elmarit-R (purchased yesterday and
therefore not available for the above) to shoot a pile driver working on my
clients site.   What a lens!

Gerry