Subject: Re: [Leica] Cleaning Haze
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 12:42:57 -0500

At 04:39 PM 3/15/2000 GMT, SML wrote:

> I had an opportunity to have a Carl Zeiss Tessar 180/4.5 in Leica screw
mount.
> The lens is pretty cloudy though.  I wonder how much it would cost to clean
>it if it is cleanable.  It looks pretty foggy to me.  Generally, is
cloudiness
>cleanable no matter how bad it is?

This is almost certainly a Prewar Carl Zeiss Jena 4.5/18cm large-format
lens remounted to LTM by a third-party fabricator;  such lenses were not
uncommon in the era.  The lens takes 51mm slip-on filters and accessories.

The cloudiness can probably be cleaned.  A fine craftsman such as John Van
Stelten customarily would charge several hundred dollars to clean this,
though he might be less, and I urge that you contact him for a precise
quote.  His E-Mail address is <focalpt@ecentral.com>.

<arc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!