Subject: [Leica] RE: Preferring an M3 was: M6 as jewelry
From: BOB KRAMER <BobKramer@COOPERCARRY.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 11:33:57 -0500

Hi Al,

I know this question was directed to Ron, and I saw that he has responded
with his thoughts but I thought I would throw in a couple other comments
from my experience using the M3.

1.  The VF magnification of the M3 makes it possible to focus, compose and
shoot with both eyes open.  I am finding this technique to be a real
advantage in street photography by reducing the VF "tunnel vision" effect.
It makes it much easier to get a sense of what is about to happen in front
of you, and you do get an edge with your shot timing this way.

2.  In 20 years with my M3, the rangefinder has never flared out on me.

3.  Less clutter in the VF which I think adds to the speed of shooting.

4.  Back when my M3 RF was crystal clear, it was brighter and easier to
focus than an M6.  My RF patch is starting to lose contrast now, so this
isn't the case any more with my M3, but I just compared my M4 to an M6, and
the M4 is brighter and easier to focus because of better contrast.  Somehow,
adding that 28mm frameline to the M VF kind of messed up a few things up for
the M Leicas in terms of the focusing function.  It is too bad that Leica
doesn't see this as something that needs to be fixed IMO.

5.  There really is a silky smoothness to the operation of an M3 that is a
true pleasure to experience, that doesn't seem to be there with an M6.

6.  The M3 is built like a tank.  I bet it would make an excellent weapon if
one were attacked on the street.  <g>

7.  This one is the biggy for me.  Lose the light meter and set yourself
free!  <g>  I find that if I have an on-camera light meter I tend to fiddle
with and worry a lot more about the exposure settings.  This slows down my
shooting a lot, and adds a level of anxiety to the process for me that I
don't think needs to be there.  It reminds me somewhat of what Ted Grant was
saying about using that 16mm lens (it was 16mm wasn't it?) and how he found
the freedom from having to focus refreshing.  I am finding the same kind of
thing beginning to happen as I become better with judging light levels.
Lately when I go out, I have just been taking a few incident readings and
then I put the meter away (thanks to Mr. Deadman for this idea).  I love it!
My exposure success rate has actually been getting much better this way, and
I love that too.  I know... some of you will say to just turn off the M6
meter, but I can't seem to do it!  The siren song of those diodes is too
much to resist!  At  least that's been my experience when using cameras with
internal light meters.

I have no doubt many of you guys will have different opinions which I'm sure
are very valid for your shooting styles and requirements.  So I fully expect
many, if not most of you folks, to prefer the M6 for the metering capability
among other things like frame line selection, etc.  Just some thoughts from
a guy who loves shooting with his M3, even more so than my M4 which has
surprised me.

Bob Kramer
Atlanta, GA