Subject: [Leica] RE: Leica Camera-Handling
From: Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 16:50:30 -0000

I've stolen a few shots at concerts where photography was banned and there
you have to be quite surreptitious in your camera handling.
Apart from recommending a second row seat, rather than a front row, there's
also a better chance of getting what you want during the encore, as the
bother of having someone ejected with only one more number to go isn't worth
the hassle.

But about Leica handling. I decided rather than raise the camera
conspicuously to my eye, I'd shoot from chest height, this I achieved with a
Visoflex 3 removing the eye level prism but looking down to focus and
compose on the ground glass screen. With the bright spotlights on the
artists the focusing wasn't a problem, I was using a 180/2.8 lens. Although
the eventual equipment combination was bulky it had the benefit of being
able to be dismantled into several bits for transport in pockets.

Remembering the Gibson/Frank story which is about being able to count a time
period in one's head before knowing when the decisive moment will occur, I
have an anecdote.
A TV producer friend had been telling of his work with a certain presenter
who we then saw presenting a horse racing programme live on location. My
friend said that he would 'count us in' to the next videotape insert.
Listening to the live extempore commentary he noticed a word which seemed
strange but perfectly in context with what was being talked about
('pineapple') and then started to count down from 10 seconds, and then as if
by magic the videotape insert appeared on the screen at zero! Incredible,
one out of the ordinary cue word delivered and then 10" later the exact
pictures were on screen as required. There was certainly more of an art
required 15 years ago to the 'instant start' machines these days.

best regards,
Jem