Subject: [Leica]-philia vs audiophilia?
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 12:15:39 -0700

For me, parallels between audio and Leicas don't quite work! I used to
buy lots of used vinyl for maybe $1-3/ea and I'd have come home with a
stack of things I had never heard of before or which just plain seemed
unlikely, like a '50s Ethel Merman pressing. Lots of fun--run them all
through the Nitty Gritty machine and take a listen. Lots of dogs in the
stack, but here and there, a gem. In this context, having an expensive
stereo didn't seem too nutty. Today, used CDs cost around $9 and I don't
experiment much, and I spend just a fraction of the time listening.
Then, I typically had Mark Levinson, Audio Research or c-j equipment;
today, I've got a Dyna tube amp that cost me less than $80; it's an
integrated unit and has essentially no cables between pre and power
amplifier sections which ought to be better than any $900 interconnect
out there.

The Leica doesn't really put a crimp on my experimenting; actually, the
opposite may be true because it's so portable and unthreatening.
- --

Jeff Segawa
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado