Subject: [Leica] Re: future of digital
From: "Les Bonser" <lbonser@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 20:16:22 -0800

> Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 06:57:13 -0800
> From: Jeff Spirer <jeffs@hyperreal.org>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] for sale as a result of our studio going digital
>
> At 01:00 AM 3/11/00 -0500, FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com wrote:
>
> >You know, Mark, high-end audio went through the same kind of "digital and
> >solid state revolution" some years ago...
>
> I've seen this analogy used before and it just doesn't work.  At the
> production end - where the music is recorded - it's almost all
> digital.  High quality 1" tape is just about impossible to find - a friend
> of mine has to hand-select lots and hoards them for use in his studio.
And
> even he uses all digital after the initial recording (the equivalent of
> shooting on film and then using digital darkroom) for his
> recordings.  Other than a few die-hards like my friend and the extreme low
> quality end, everything is digitial start to finish, usually using
> Didigesign Pro Tools.
>
> Also, I don't know anyone in the music business using anything other than
> DAT in the field.
>
> The high end audio market is a luxury market that is often noted for its
> cultist tendencies, and has no impact on the production of music.

And the high-end photography market isn't a luxury market that is often
noted for its cultist tendencies and no impact on the production of
pictures???? Yes, my sarcasm is intended!

I own a totally manual camera, a fully automated one, a posh P&S, and a
digital; and use them all for various types of projects. I develop my own
black and white film, sometimes I print them in my own darkroom, sometimes I
scan them with my slide scanner.

In my humble opinion, digital will get bigger in the marketplace and amongst
users at all levels. But film will never go away entirely, particularly in
the hobbyist market. Radio didn't totally replace live music, movies didn't
totally replace plays, TV didn't totally replace TV or plays, and video/DVD
hasn't totally replaced TV. The web hasn't replaced the written word--people
still buy books and magazines.

Digital cameras are just another possibility for capturing and creating
images.

> Jeff Spirer
> Photos: http://www.hyperreal.org/~jeffs/gallery.html
> One People: http://www.onepeople.com/