Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica made in Germany
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 11:08:29 -0700

If Turkish workers assemble a Leica in Germany, is it still a German
camera? ;-)

I dunno about Germany, but in the US of A, it seems that everyone who
can wants to be a highly-paid professional or entrepreneur and few
native-born ones build stuff for a living anymore. I can't remember
where I read it (Wall Street Journal perhaps?) but I recall a recent
article of how Kodak for one, faced losing master craftspeople due to
retirement--how do you replace someone who can tell that your
photographic paper is just right--by feel? Same problem in Japan where
masters of dying arts are given the honorary title of "National
Treasure" or some such, in hopes that the prestige generated will
attract younger folks to carry on the tradition. I wonder what the
average age of the Nikon S3 assemblers is today.

Jeff Segawa
Boulder, Colorado