Subject: Re: [Leica] photgenic sites in SF bay area
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 08:57:15 -0800

> LUGers and BALUGers,
>
> I'm on a business trip to Monterey in April and would like some advice
on
> photogenic sites for landscape style photgraphy in and around the Bay
area.
> In particular, I am unsure whether to head north along the coast
towards the
> Russian River or head south of Monterey. I won't have time to do both.
> I'll be packing LF (Crown Graphic) as well as my M6 so I don't
necessaily
> want to move too far from the road.Any input would be appreciated.

Well, the Monterey area is one of the more photogenic are in the greater
SF Bay Area.  Last November, a number of LUGgers got together at Point
Lobos, perhaps 10 or so miles south of Monterey for a day of shooting,
followed by a dinner at Pebble Beach.  You can drive further south via
Route 1 to Big Sur, and this is Ansel Adams territory.

As I live in Marin County, just north of San Francisco, I'm rather fond
of it, too.  Some of the more stunning sites are Marin Headlands with
the view of the cityscape with Golden Gate Bridge, Point Bonita
lighthouse that stands impossibily precariously, Mt. Tamalpais, Bolinas
Ridge, Tomales Bay, and Point Reys... the list goes on.  For vineyards,
I'm rather fond of the Russian River, as well as some of the region's
finest offerings (try Davis Bynum.  Their pinot is wonderful).  It has
more intimate feel than the expansive Napa Valley.

Basically, you cannot go wrong driving along Route 1 and stop
frequently.