Subject: Re: [Leica] photgenic sites in SF bay area
From: "Doug Herr" <Dherr@energy.state.ca.us>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 09:13:02 -0800

Jonathan Lee wrote:

I'm on a business trip to Monterrey in April and would like some advice on
photogenic sites for landscape style photgraphy in and around the Bay area.
In particular, I am unsure whether to head north along the coast towards the
Russian River or head south of Monterrey. I won't have time to do both.
I'll be packing LF (Crown Graphic) as well as my M6 so I don't necessaily
want to move too far from the road.Any input would be appreciated.
<<<

The Russian River is quite a distance from Monterey, so if your time is limited I'd suggest Point Lobos and the Big Sur area.  The drive along Highway 1 south of Monterey is quite dramatic in many places.  North of Monterey, try Big Basin or Portola State Parks.  If you will be in the Bay Area itself, Mount Diablo State Park near Walnut Creek or Sunol Regional Wilderness between Fremont and Livermore can be productive.  These inland areas may require more hiking than the coastal areas.  In Marin County, just across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Fracisco, Muir Woods, Mt. Tamalpias, the Marin County headlands and Point Reyes are all very scenic.

Despite all the urbanization of the Bay Area there are still many very scenic places nearby.  The biggest problem is deciding where to go first.

Doug Herr
Sacramento