Subject: [Leica] Leica in Vietnam
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 22:25:05 -0500

The April issue of B&W magazine has an extensive interview with Nick Ut, the
photographer most famous for his photo of napalmed Kim Phuc running naked down the
road near Trang Bang.

Some very nice photos of Kim Phuc today (she lives in Toronto) are reproduced.

Ut talks about equipment too, stating that most shooters in Vietnam carried a Nikon F
and a Leica, usually an M2. He states that those who used their Leicas most were
always at a disadvantage because of slow rewinding. He says that in the full-frame
version of his famous image you can see one of his colleagues struggling to rewind
the film in his Leica - that guy missed the prize-winning picture!

I guess the M4 hadn't caught on yet although, in a way, I feel M users are still at a
bit of a disadvantage when it comes to rewind and reload in the heat of the action.

Emanuel Lowi