Subject: Re: [Leica] Zuiko-Summicron Shootout
From: FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 12:13:48 EST

In a message dated 3/5/00 11:40:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
michaeljohnston@ameritech.net writes:

<< Since I made those same comments on the LUG, I thought I'd post Gary's
 results FWIW. The two grades are evaluations of center and corner
 performance, respectively. For a further explanation of his methodology,
 see his site.

 At f/2: Zuiko B- B- / Summicron B- B+
 At f/2.8: Zuiko B- B / Summicron B A-
 At f/4: Zuiko A- A- / Summicron B+ A-
 At f/5.6: Zuiko A- A / Summicron A A+
 At f/8: Zuiko A+ A+ / Summicron A- A-
 At f/11: Zuiko A A- / Summicron  B+ B+
 At f/16: Zuiko A- B+ / Summicron B+ B+ >>

These "subjective" quality ratings really do not tell me too much except that
the reviewer's impressions led to him conclude that the two lenses perform
very similarly.  When I tested Olympus and Leica lenses, the major
observation of particular significance to me was the color cast in shadow
areas - much more blue and blank with the Olympus lens. The Leica lenses had
a richer, more differentiated color rendition in the difficult darker areas
of the slide (Kodachrome 25).
Further, sharpness is really a non-issue for almost any modern lens - I have
tested dozens of them using a line-pairs test target. Many times Leica lenses
do not resolve as many line pairs as the Japanese versions (excluding the new
ASPH designs). That realization used to bother me when I was younger and each
lens represented a month's pay after taxes, however when I look at the slides
I took over the years, it is clear that Leica lenses of the 70's and 80's
produced substantially more pleasing images when compared to my other camera
systems.
Bob Figlio