Subject: [Leica] Zuiko-Summicron Shootout
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 10:29:06 +0000

As a result of comments I made on the Olympus mailing list, Gary Reese,
who maintains a website of Olympus lens tests at

http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm

has tested a Leitz 50mm f/2 Summicron-M (4th generation 1979 "Mandler"
design, multi-coated, on a Leica M2 using the self-timer), against an
Olympus 50mm f/2 Zuiko Macro (multi-coated, on an OM-2000 using mirror
and aperture prefire).

Since I made those same comments on the LUG, I thought I'd post Gary's
results FWIW. The two grades are evaluations of center and corner
performance, respectively. For a further explanation of his methodology,
see his site.

At f/2: Zuiko B- B- / Summicron B- B+
At f/2.8: Zuiko B- B / Summicron B A-
At f/4: Zuiko A- A- / Summicron B+ A-