Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica vs. Contax wars
From: "rlb" <rlb@triad.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 11:39:06 -0800

This topic is going to get the fur flying!

I own both brands; Leica M6, Contax G2 and Contax 645.  The differences
between Zeiss and Leitz optics is extremely small.  Frankly I don't really
care because both are exceptional.  Yes, there are some lenses better than
others.  However, Leitz has certainly moved the notch up quite a bit with
the introduction of the aspheric and apo application.   This has taken place
during a time that Zeiss has not, that I am aware, made any significant
changes and/or improvements in their glass.

If you are concluding that the Contax is the leader among rangefinder
cameras you must fine tune it a bit.  If you measure it on electronics I
would agree with you.  The Contax viewfinder is better, in my opinion, built
in motor is a plus and  auto-focus is nice to have when needed.    However,
the construction quality, resale value, long-term usefullness, flexibility
and  high quality/wide aperture optics availability are not even close to
Leica.

The Contax is going to die after so many years of use.  The Leica will live
to pass on to my grandkids and theirs if taken care of.

The Contax is a serious "point and shoot" camera and it is certainly the
best in that category but it "ain't no Leica M."  The Leica M is a serious
photographers tool.

Bob Bedwell