Subject: [Leica] DDD apoligies
From: "Mike Gil" <pasuno@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 13:09:27 PST

Dear Lugnuts and Lugmares,

I feel responsible since I posted the original thread regarding DDD's use of
Nikon lenses on Leica bodies.  I meant to use that example of Nikon coming
virtually out of no where and taking market share from Leica as it relates
to the present.  The example from the Korean war is similar to what is
happening know or at least I hope not.  Nikon is virtually a new player in
this field being out of manufacturing interchangeable rangefinder cameras
since the introduction of the F, please dont take that as the exact time as
the end of the S series.  Nikon has a wealth of technology and money behind
it.  Nikon in time can match Leica optics, if it wants and if Leica sits
back and does nothing.  I didn't mean this thread to question DDD's
integrity or honesty.  I tend to believe what most photogs have to say
except when they talk about the technical details of there pictures.  If
your shooting 20 to 30 rolls of film per assignment, who has time to take
down the details and are they really important.  You probably know what lens
you used and probably what film and exposure details but who care?  Sorry,
getting OT anyway.

In his book "This is War" DDD said that he had the prints made with the
Nikkors blown up to 11x14 by the Life lab.  I think they would know if these
prints would of been of an inferior quality.  Since they used these to make
the book I think they where not inferior.

The big question, is Nikon going to spend all that money to make a short
term profit with the retro S3 or is this just the beginning.  It would be
very untypical of Japan Inc. to just think of the short term picture with
out working out the long term potential.

mg

Please don't sling to hard, Im off to Europe with my new Noct 1.0(thanks for
all the advice, if I end up hatting it, it's still the most beautifull
looking lens I have ever seen, except maybe for the Noct 1.2), and wont be
able to check out the action on the lug.