Subject: Re: [Leica] RACIST CRAP!
From: Jay Kumarasamy <jayk@cisco.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 11:29:07 -0800 (PST)

> At 11:32 AM 2/27/00 -0500, Austin Franklin wrote:
> >I would ask that if this is a topic that interests you, please PLEASE take
> >it private, or at least elsewhere.  I do not believe it has any place on
> >this list.
>
> I disagree.  Racism is an evil in this society that must be identified and
> stopped when it occurs.  No-one started a thread on racism - a racist
> remark was made and a number of people noticed it.  If there hadn't been
> that original statement, this would never have been a topic.  But sweeping
> it under the carpet or pretending it didn't happen, or that it is a
> "private" matter will only perpetuate it.

I agree with both these views.  Yes, this discussion does not belong on this
list.  But if there was ever a hinted remark, then it must be explored.

Racism is not confined to one race. It is present in ALL races.
Prejudices are present even amoung the same race. It is human nature.
Inside we are all the same, feel pain, pleasure, jealous, envy, angry,
violent(in thought, word, or deed), frightened, petty individuals.
Insecurity BREEDS racism, and also the cause for organized institutions to
give a 'false' sence of security, that we 'belong' somewhere.  We don't
see things as they are, instead, how they should be, and these are drilled
into our heads since childhood, by society, culture, religion, economics, etc.

I apologize, if I offended anyone.  I saw so many emails on this, so I thought
respond.

Now, coming back to Japanese copy of German photo gear, so what if they did.
They were the only ones capable of copying such fine pieces of
camera gear, and also to improve on it.

There were so many who made copies of Leica, the British Ried for instance.
A very fine copy, yet that is not called a 'theft'. Why ?  So, it seems to
me its OK for some to copy but not others.

- - Jay