Subject: Re: [Leica] RACIST CRAP!
From: "Timothy R. Kuntz" <covbldrs@usit.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 14:25:13 -0500

I have to agree with you both.  On the one hand I agree with the honest up-front dealing with issues but at the same time am repulsed by many of the vicious and short sighted blanket statements.  On the one hand we cannot stifle freedom of speach, but there certainly is an expectation of a higher level of discourse.

How then to we regulate ourselves?  I am often torn between gritting my teeth when reading some of these messages and tossing back a few choice words of wisdom (or well chosen words to fan the flames) - only to read three messages later that I'd misinterpreted the original wording or the person clairified their statements.

In teaching (some 20 years ago), during a break I noticed a student that clearly needed to have a more bright and cheerful attitude & participate more.  So I asked, "What's the matter - your mother die?"  He said, 'Yes'.  Obviously since then I've tried to be a little more sensitive to others.  The point is this: when we launch that email it's often difficult to know in advance (given the wide range folks it goes to) how it will be interpreted.  AND the point of all this is that as photographers we have choices to make dealing with people.  The camera is a device that can be very invasive and intimidating - we all have stories about that.

Knowledge imparts responsibility.

Warmest regards,
  Timothy Kuntz

33 N.W. Sixth Street        covbldrs@usit.net
Pulaski, Virginia  24301    540-980-4874

TPM Coordinator              540-674-3940 voice, voice mail
BBA Friction Inc.              540-674-2380 fax
3994 Pepperell Way        877-443-3075 pager
Dublin, VA 24084             tkuntz@bbafriction-inc.com

VTAUG Educational Coordinator    www.vtaug.org