Subject: RE: [Leica] RACIST CRAP!
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 18:42:10 -0500

At 11:32 AM 2/27/00 -0500, Austin Franklin wrote:
>I would ask that if this is a topic that interests you, please PLEASE take
>it private, or at least elsewhere.  I do not believe it has any place on
>this list.

I disagree.  Racism is an evil in this society that must be identified and
stopped when it occurs.  No-one started a thread on racism - a racist
remark was made and a number of people noticed it.  If there hadn't been
that original statement, this would never have been a topic.  But sweeping
it under the carpet or pretending it didn't happen, or that it is a
"private" matter will only perpetuate it.

[Austin] Racism IS wrong, I didn't say it wasn't.  If the real intention
was to 'stop' it, I believe it would better be served doing it PRIVATELY.
 My requesting this be taken care of privately has nothing to do with
"sweeping it under the carpet", or "pretending it didn't happen', that is a
completely erroneous, and presumptuous conclusion.  Taking the matter
private allows people to recover, and be much more receptive to criticism
that with an inappropriate public thrashing.  Though we have MANY off topic
discussions, this IS a Leica (mostly) Users Group list, and I believe the
conversation about THIS matter has become bad discourse, and therefore
completely inappropriate on this list.