Subject: [Leica] Nikon S3 war
From: Fred Zimmerman <fredz@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 09:43:05 -0600

  The adoption of Nikon lenses is discussed in a fine book by Robert
Rotoloni, The Nikon Rangefinder Camera: an Illustrated History of the Nikon
Rangefinder Cameras, Lenses and Accessories, 2nd ed., Hove, 1983.
  "It is an interesting story with a cast of world-famous photographers and
a noted writer. It all started in June 1950 when David Douglas Duncan and
Horace Bristol, of Life magazine, were in Tokyo on their way to shoot the
Korean conflict. A young Japanese photographer showed them photos taken
with an 85mm f2.0 Nikkor that were extremely sharp. When Duncan and Bristol
learned that it was made only a few miles away they went to the factory and
obtained permission to choose lenses and cameras at random. They discovered
that they could duplicate the results with ease. Duncan acquired an entire
set of Nikkors in screw mount to use on his Leicas, and shot the entire War
with them. His famous book, 'This is War' was shot with a Leica camera, but
every photo was made through a Nikkor lens! Bristol also used them on his
Leicas and Carl Mydans acquired a set for his Contaxes. In August Hank
Walker arrived and discarded his cameras and went on to shoot the War with
a late model Nikon camera and its lenses. After returning to New York,
Duncan and Mydans brought their newly acquired lenses and cameras to
Eastern Optical Co. for testing. Their optimistic field reports were
confirmed and Life magazine purchased a considerable number of cameras and
lens outfits for their staff, as did Look magazine. Word spread quickly
amongst professionals about the superior resolving power, and amazing
consistencey, of these unknown Japanese lenses. Finally, on December 10,
1950, Jacon Deschin, in his Sunday New York Tiems photography column, told
the enitre story and the rest is history." (pp. 67-8)