Subject: Re: [Leica] Nikon S3 War
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 11:43:57 -0500

At 09:15 AM 2/26/2000 +0000, Mike Johnston wrote:
>You have an indomnitably Leica-centric view of the world. This sort of
>prejudicial filter is not a happy characteristic in an historian.
>
>You can believe what you want based on what the Germans said, but many
>of the photographers are on the record.

Actually, Mike, your paranoia becomes a bit off-setting after a while.  To
the contrary of your skewed interpretation, I happen to have the highest
regard for the Japanese camera industry of the 1940's -- it takes a quality
operation to turn out precise copies of the German lenses.  After all, the
Soviets only managed to do this with a lot of slave-labor help from the
Germans themselves.  After all, "imitation is the sincerest form of
flattery".  And the Japanese went on from this base to build a tremendous
photographic industry by employing great marketing skill, tremendous
industrial ability, and a sound common sense generally lacking in European
and US circles.  But the thefts which began it all are too much a matter of
the historical record to ignore.

And, yes, the memoirs of a number of photographers of that era are of
record.  Hell, I have interviewed a number of them.  And this is why your
persistent spreading of distorted falsehoods is such a sad commentary on a
fine journalist such as yourself.  You might consider taking a leaf from
Paul Harvey and learning "the rest of the story".  The facile surface tale
is frequently the wrong one, and a good journalist digs out the full saga.
Or, in any event, so I was taught both as a journalist and as an historian.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!