Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Photo ethics
From: "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@thegrid.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 17:09:25 -0800

> >>I think you are ABSOLUTELY under the most basic of ethical obligations
> inform the editor that you
> used a prop, rather than a live snake.<<

The "thick, lush, thirsty" towels that look 5 inches thick in ads are
stuffed with newspapers to make them look thicker. The before and after
photos of the  middle aged woman's face in wrinkle reduction ads are taken
at the same time, only the lighting has been changed to dupe the unwary. I
am sure the editor know.

There are literally thousands of deceptive ads. Ethics stops where there is
money to be made.
If the ad in question was to sell live seagulls as pets, then yes, the gull
should have been live, never mind "informing the editor". If, however, the
gulls and the snakes were only part of a whole scene and especially if the
props represented accurately the actions their live counterparts, then it
matters little if they are real, stuffed, or bionic.

A nature photographer in my area captures wonderful photos of raptors
swooping on prey. I admired these photos with awe for years. One day I asked
the photographer how he managed to photograph hawks, eagles and other birds
so vividly and only with a 200mm lens. "with a blind and bait nailed to a
stump" he replied without batting an eyelash. I was disappointed as I was
envisioning long and arduous treks in the wilderness, but I cannot deny that
the photographs represented accurately the behavior of his subjects props
and tricks notwithstanding.

Joseph