Subject: Re: [Leica] Which Leica M lens is your favorite?
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 00:39:34 EST

I have several favorite M lenses.

One favorite is the second formulation chrome 50/1.4 Summilux.  One of the
best looking lenses ever, with its lovely scalloped focusing ring.  Good heft
and great handling on a Leica M camera.  Good performer optically, too.  I'm
a sucker for any fast Leica 50mm lens, also owning 4 Xenons and about a dozen
Summarits (bought em when they were cheap).

Another favorite is the 75 Summilux.  Unique look to the photos, another
excellent performer, IMO better than the Noctilux, although a difficult lens
to master.  Kind of chunky, but this is only a drawback when you're hauling
it around in your bag all day.  Useful focal length for taking candid shots
in an average size room.  Better suited for this than a 90.

I also love the 24 ASPH.  Fantastic performer, sharp all the way out to the
edges.  One of my best shots, "Charleston Basket Ladies," was taken with this
lens.  Great for travel.  Much better lens than the Nikon 24/2.

IMO the best M lens ever made is the 35/1.4 ASPH.  Best all round lens in the
line.  Has an incredible "look" that constantly gets comments from people who
look at my photos ask' "Wow, what lens did you use to take this picture !!?!"
Incredibly sharp even wide open.  Only drawback is the size, weight and cost.
 If I didn't need the speed, the Summicron ASPH would be my next choice.  I
had both, but sold the Summicron as I felt it was redundant.  Best lens to
have on the proverbial desert isle.  But then, where would you get your
chromes processed?

Bill Rosauer