Subject: [Leica] Developer fomulas
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 17:16:05 +0000

>>>However I have a copy of Photo Techniques July/Aug. 96 and on page 68
there
is the formula for Gainer's Vitamin C developer. There was also an
article
by Gainer in the Nov./Dec. 1994 issue. This is obviously the formula for
film developer, but I am sure somebody else can tell us how film
developers
differ from paper developers and also suggest the necessary changes to
the
formulation so that it can be used for paper.<<<

We've published a number of formulas for paper developers, including one
by Maxim Muir that resembles Agfa Neutol / Ilford Multigrade Developer,
but in split-stock form...that is, you mix two liquid stock solutions
that don't age or oxidize separately and then combine them before use.
The shelf life of the split stock is far better than a single-solution
liquid developer.

Pat Gainer published a better Vitamin C developer formula in the latest
issue (Mar / Apr) in his article entitled "More Pyrotechnics." The
earlier formula was specifically devised to use no sodium sulfite. He
calls the newer one the "My Favorite" developer.

I have no idea what the phrase "The Xtol for Paper" could possibly
mean....

- --Mike / Editor
_PHOTO Techniques_ magazine
www.phototechmag.com