Subject: [Leica] Trade Rollei TLR for Leica M
From: Doug Cooper <visigoth@echonyc.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 13:19:48 -0500 (EST)

I'm tempted to trade one of my Rolleiflexes for a Leica M.  I have
two:  a 3.5E Planar in exc++ condition, with working meter and Beattie
screen; and a 2.8E Xenotar in mint condition, with no meter and Maxwell
Hi-Lux screen.

The E is, according to mavens on the Rollei list, the apex of the Rollei
TLR line -- roughly analogous to the M3.  (Of course, the recent GX has
its partisans, as does the M6.  But in terms of build quality, and fetish
factor, the E is the one.)  F's tend to be much more expensive, of course.
The F will give you a removable finder -- not an issue, as these have the
best modern screens already installed, and the optional eye-level finder
for the F is clunky; also 220 film capability, which can be added to the E
with a simple mod.  The coupled meter on the F is prefered by some, but
it's far more likely to break down.  The E is smaller, and has that
ineffable thing about it that an M3 has:  it just feels good.

I'm looking to trade for a user M3 or M2 -- recently CLA'd -- but would
consider other offers (including lenses).

I'm less inclined to get rid of the Xenotar, as the lens was just recoated
by Focal Point, and I haven't had time to really use it.  (The offer would
have to be really good.)  The 3.5 is said to be a marginally sharper lens
than the 2.8, but I haven't seen it. (And I won't even weigh in on the
Xenotar vs. Planar debate:  this is Holy War territory.)

I have a fair bit of money in both cameras -- you can find E's cheaper,
but they'd need at least $300 work and parts to put them in this kind of
condition.

So make me an offer!

Douglas Cooper