Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Darkroom -- what's the secret?
From: "Andrew Moore" <moore@rscs.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 09:55:14 -0500

> >to print archival black and whites on fiber paper.  With the new Epsons
and
> >some of the new inks and papers, the black and whites are even possible
> >digitally and will soon be as archival as darkroom prints.  The results
are
> >phenominal with no messy, dangerous chemicals and much more precise
> >dodging, burning and color control.

Tiny (and all):

What's the magic recipe here?  I've got an Epson Photo Stylus 750 and I
usually
print on Epson Heavyweight Matte paper at 720 dpi (I notice no difference
between
720 and 1440 dpi, though the printer supposedly can handle 1440).  The
resolution
looks good, but the difference in image quality between my conventional and
digital
prints is obvious to me, regardless of whether or I print in B&W or color
for a B&W
image.  I haven't printed on glossy paper yet, with one exception, and the
results
were so poor I haven't gone back (that particular paper caused the ink to
"blob"
together and the results looked very poor).  I'm really liking my
conventional darkroom
right now (though the scanning/printing is fantastic for generating
"contact" sheets).
Any suggestions?