Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Darkroom -- what's the secret?
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:41:11 -0500

At 09:55 AM 2/18/00 -0500, you wrote:

>What's the magic recipe here?  I've got an Epson Photo Stylus 750 and I
>usually
>print on Epson Heavyweight Matte paper at 720 dpi (I notice no difference
>between
>720 and 1440 dpi, though the printer supposedly can handle 1440).  The
>resolution
>looks good, but the difference in image quality between my conventional and
>digital
>prints is obvious to me, regardless of whether or I print in B&W or color
>for a B&W
>image.  I haven't printed on glossy paper yet, with one exception, and the
>results
>were so poor I haven't gone back (that particular paper caused the ink to
>"blob"
>together and the results looked very poor).  I'm really liking my
>conventional darkroom
>right now (though the scanning/printing is fantastic for generating
>"contact" sheets).
>Any suggestions?

Andrew -

The paper is probably the most important variable.  That and the
profiles.  If you subscribe to the Epson list (more mail than the LUG!),
you can keep up with the constantly changing and improving inks and
papers.  The profiles that I have found the best are free from John Cone's
site:   http://www.inkjetmall.com/store/apply4codes.html

And here are two web sites with lots of information on digital printing:

http://lioncity.s-one.net.sg/~printer/color/quad_met/

http://www.tssphoto.com/sp/dg/index.html

Hope this helps -

Tina