Subject: RE: [Leica] Eggleston: art photography
From: "Lee, Ken" <ken.lee@hbc.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:57:23 -0500

John,

Please forgive me if this sounds argumentative, I don't mean it that way.  I
often wonder about art, because whether painting, sculpture or photography
most of the time I don't get it. I had never heard of Eggleston before this
thread, so I checked out the site from the URL. What makes any of these
photos anything more than very poor snapshots other than a great PR person?
What makes a figure of a woman clothed in rotting meat art? What makes most
modern paintings art? For some of the more well know artists, I sort of
accept that it must be art, and something must be wrong with me because I
just don't get it. For the rest I just scratch my head.

A very confused Ken