Subject: Re: [Leica] Weddings
From: Michael Bell <mbell@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 14:45:32 -0600

Since we are talking weddings, I have a recent story.  My cousin got
married on New Years Eve and I new they didn't have much money so I
volunteered to take pictures.  My aunt asked if I could videotape
also, but I told here there is only so much I can do at one time!

I arrived at the rehearsal, which was 2 hours before the wedding, to
find that most of the wedding party was not there.  I also found out
my Aunt had not made arrangements for anyone else other than the
minister.  The minister ended have to deal with music (a MIDI setup)
in addition to officiating.

I ended up directing traffic.  Since most of the wedding party did
not show up for the rehearsal, they didn't know what to do.  At 10
minutes after the start time they were milling about at the back of
the church.  I eventually realized nothing was going to happen until
someone did something.  I went to the back of the church and said:
"OK, first send the kids down (flower girl and ring bearer).  The
ring bearer is asleep?  Someone carry him down then.  Make sure the
best man gets the ring at some point."  I back up and snap some
pictures.

"OK now, one groomsman, one bridesmaid, I don't care who,  stand
together, you on this side, you on that, go down the aisle, at the
alter move off to the side far enough so the others can fill in
beside you."  I back up, snap the picture, then get the next two set
up and send them down the aisle.

Since the minister and I were juggling so many jobs, things didn't
always coordinate very well and there was the occasional bit of
awkward standing around with nothing much happening.

After the service the minister said to me, "I've done weddings that
went perfectly.  This couple today is still just as married."

Between the service and reception, almost everyone changed from their
nice clothes to jeans and T-shirts.  The hotel double booked their
one banquet room, so they put us in two adjoining rooms.  It was a
tight fit and made taking pictures difficult.

I have no idea how the pictures came out.  I left my cousin the film
to have developed. Hopefully they will send me some copies at some
point.

- --
Michael Bell
MBell@mail.utexas.edu