Subject: [Leica] Cheap lens caps
From: mike pailliotet <pailliotet@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 12:09:09 -0800

I wanted to thank who ever it was that suggested the "Fernco Quick Cap"
as a cheap replacement and or substitute for the easily lost plastic cap
that come with the current 50 summicron .
For $2.79 you can get a honking chunk of black rubber that not only
protects the front of the lens but I also get the feeling that if you
dropped the whole camera and it landed on this thing , it would probably
bounce right back up into your hands !
It has a great "industrial:" look to it and should go great with all
those taped up black bodies out there.... very incognito!
The fit is perfect on my 50 cron and I imagine it should work on all 39
mm size lenses. It slips very securely over the "Foreskin" type shade
and the filter (UV god forbid!) has no effect on it's security.
I found it at a standard hardware store (OSH, here in the S.F. bay area)
in the plumbing section , it is the one and a half inch size, also
labeled "QC-101".

Maybe I will buy a case of them, paint a red dot on the front and sell
them on eBay!

Mike Pailliotet