Subject: RE: [Leica] CDI tests
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 11:09:59 -0800

Jean-Claude Berger wrote:

>I doubt it Ted. In his book "Get the picture", John G. Morris reports that, in
>1937, William Vandivert and Bernie Hoffman (Life Magazine) invited him to
>dinner.  And that they spent all the night testing their lenses...>>>>>

Bonjour Jean-Claude,

I don't doubt there were some who tested their lenses, my point is, I still
believe there weren't that many who did compared to what we hear of these
days.

It certainly never occured to me to do things like that, as I was far to
busy shooting assignments all over the place to be testing concerned. If I
bought Leica the attitude was, "It's Leica the best, use it!"  Rightly or
wrongly.

And given the testing by <<<<John G. Morris reports that, in 1937, William
Vandivert and Bernie Hoffman (Life Magazine) invited him to dinner.  And
that they spent all the night testing their lenses.>>>>>

From the description, it sounds more like a fun after dinner event, like we
have done at some LUG meet and greets,  rather than a serious testing. One
would almost have to look at this as not the type of serious spending of
time and film that people do today. Quite possibly not and they were very
serious about it.

I'm still of a mind that it's the content that is the most important and
the lens, good, bad or ugly is merely a tool to capture the moment and not
the be all to end all in a successful picture.

I guess this comes down to different tests for different folks.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant