Subject: Re: [Leica] "Add-a-Cam"? How much?/ and beginner 'R' body recomendation?
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 20:36:18 -0500

Bob Keene asked:

Been using 'R' glass on my Canon EOS A2- with an adapter from Joseph Yao;
with this arrangement I can use 1 or 2 cam lenses. My question, as I can
see somewhere down the road an 'R' body- Can you get a third cam added to a
2 cam lens? Anyone have an *approximate* cost? I want to see if this will
be feasible in the future- can buy and use a 2 cam lens now- eventually
convert it- or will the conversion cost be prohibitive, in which case I may
save my hard earned $$ for 3 cam lens....

AND-

Any votes for a first 'R' body? I know of a 'user' R5 for around $500-
but.....
What about R3's- somefolks seem to love 'em- do you need the R3 MOT to hook
up the winder?
<<<

Sherry's conversion cost was a little over $100 last time I had it done,
for a 135.

The R3 MOT can use the R3 winder, the R3 (non-MOT) cannot.  The R4sP is
reliable and costs less than the R5, at the cost of some handy features.
The R4s (without the "P") is also a good choice but lacks a viewfinder
indication of manual shutter speeds and the improved weather- and
idiot-proofing introduced with the R4sP.  There were about 22,000 R4s
bodies made, vs. less than 10,000 R4sP so the relative scarcity of the R4sP
makes its price a bit higher.

Doug Herr
Sacramento