Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica really cheap, but...
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 08:07:26 -0500

What do you think of buying an R4, electronically dead, I mean, you could
just use the manual synchro flash (position 100) and the bulb (position B)
all the rest (electronic speed, cell, pre release shutter) is dead. So the
mechanic is ok, but the rest not, and that for something like 4500FB (
112.5
$US).

I would like to have your comment on this, interesting, or not at all, or
what (possibilities to cure it by myself?)
<<<

I'd pass it up.  Unless you are unusually gifted or well-trained in
mechanical and electronic repair your trouble will cost you more than the
savings, or, if you don't fix it, having only one hand-holdable shutter
speed limits the camera's usefulness to an unacceptable degree.  I had a
similar situation when I was given an R4sP with a broken main casting.  I
was able to repair it, but if I had *purchased* the dead body, the cost
plus the cost of repairs would have made the purchase of a functional used
body a better choice.

Consider the cost of the lenses you'd be putting on it, and the image
quality they are capable of, and limiting it to this degree seems like a
waste of money.

A dead R4 is better as a parts camera, particularly if the top plate is
free of bubbles.  OTOH, if you just like tinkering, don't ask for an
economic justification.

Doug Herr
Sacramento