Subject: [Leica] Re: UVa Filter, Thomas Kachadurian.
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 22:33:42 -0800

Hi Tom,

I've mentioned this very fact many times on the LUG and got poo pooed. Last
summer when I taught a Leica Workshop in San Francisco, I was asked by the
sponsoring store (Adolph Gasser) not to tell people that they should not
use "protection" UV filters because this was a source of revenue over and
above the meager margin on lenses. Since in all honesty, I could not do
this, what I did instead, was to show the class all of the various filters
that I do use. Polarizer, KR3, KR6, KB3, ND 4x, ND Grad's, 25A, YG, etc. I
told them that whenever you put a filter over your lens, it should be for
the purpose of "enhancing" the resulting photograph. Then I showed some
slides using the filters that I do use. This generated lots of filter sales
for the store. Expensive filters. But no UV filters. The store was happy.

So thank you Tom, for reminding me of this again. And thanks for
corroborating my knowledge about lenses and filters.

By the way, I bought your book "Views from the Sleeping Bear". Great book.
Great great photographs.

Jim