Subject: [Leica] RE: Re: UVa Filter - Austin Franklin - unwanted effect.
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:39:00 -0800

At 02:13 PM 2/10/00 -0500, Austin Franklin wrote:

>For some people, finding out that a filter can cause problems under certain
>circumstances, may be new information.  I think it is good to bring up
>those situations and discuss what they are, and why it happens, not just
>tell everyone who uses a filter they are stupid for using one.  That's not
>really very helpful.

Austin, you are new to this list. Everyone here knows that I use filters A
LOT. Nearly every fine art photograph I have was taken through a filter.
The majority of my prints are between 30x40 and 48x60 (inches).

Everybody here knows that I am talking about screwing a useless filter on
your lens and leaving it there always. Everyone here knows that my message
is that BEFORE you put a filter on your lens, make sure that it will
ENHANCE your photograph in some way. If there is a chance that it will
degrade your photograph (photographing into the light, lights at night,
high contrast subjects almost anywhere, etc.) don't use a filter. In these
situations, a filter can, and many times will, cause flare, ghosting,
reflections, etc. And a naked lens will not. This is a very simple minded
message. And everyone will, of course, do what they always do anyway.

So other than you, I believe nearly everyone on this list has heard my
message many times. Ad nauseam I'm sure. But when I read "I use a UV
filter. Where did these unwanted reflections come from?" I cannot help but
comment.

So, for all of you that are new. Use filters. Use the hell out of filters.
I do. But knowing what they can and cannot do, "über alles" use a little
common sense. And if your photograph is screwed-up because of a filter,
don't blame the equipment, blame that person that stares back at you in the
mirror.

Das ist alles,

auf Wiedersehen,

Jim