Subject: RE: [Leica] RE: Re: UVa Filter - Austin Franklin - unwanted effect.
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 22:58:42 -0500

>For some people, finding out that a filter can cause problems under
certain
>circumstances, may be new information.  I think it is good to bring up
>those situations and discuss what they are, and why it happens, not just
>tell everyone who uses a filter they are stupid for using one.  That's not
>really very helpful.

Austin, you are new to this list.  Everybody here knows that I am talking
about screwing a useless filter on
your lens and leaving it there always.

[Austin] I am not new to the English language.  You clearly stated filters
were 'useless', and the tone of your message was people who use filters are
stupid for using them.

Everyone here knows that my message

[Austin] Obviously not, since others have responded to your message as
well, in the same vain as I did.

is that BEFORE you put a filter on your lens, make sure that it will
ENHANCE your photograph in some way. If there is a chance that it will
degrade your photograph (photographing into the light, lights at night,
high contrast subjects almost anywhere, etc.) don't use a filter. In these
situations, a filter can, and many times will, cause flare, ghosting,
reflections, etc. And a naked lens will not. This is a very simple minded
message. And everyone will, of course, do what they always do anyway.

[Austin] That is both well put, and useful.  If you only put it that way in
the first place, there would have been no 'misunderstanding'.