Subject: [Leica] UVa Filter unwanted effects.
From: "Peter Zak" <pzak@desidero.com.au>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 13:47:49 +1100

Ted, thanks for your words.....

I'm well aware of the debate on UVA filters re: Protection vs Image
degradation, but

I've noticed that the UVA filters on my 35mm and 90mm Summicrons are giving
unwanted reflections as night.

I've shot some night scenes of Sydney Australia and I can read the neon
naming signage duplicated up in the Sky (reversed).

The same shots without the UVA filters are OK.

I've taken with Leica-AG, their response is:

"All our filters have multi-layer coatings to reduce reflection at the
glass-air planes.  So we reduce the intensity of the reflected light to a
very low level.  But it is not possible to suppress the reflections totally.
If there is a motive with a very high contrast ie.  Lamps at night, you can
see the faint reflexes of the lamps easily on the dark background of the
night"

Ok, so the solution is (surprise, surprise) take to UVA filters off for
night shooting.

But my question is - why have I never noticed this in 7 years of Nikon
shooting using some very cheap and nasty UVA filters at all times (ie
non-HMC Hoya, Arrow !!).  A $15 filter doesn't have this problem, a $200 one
does ??.

I have sent an email back to Leica asking the same question.  I will post
the response when it arrives.

Regards,

Peter Zak.