Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Cohn Comments......YOU CAN'T BE SERIOUS
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 01:31:57 EST

I feel the need for some clarification to Sal's remarks, which were
attributed to Herr Cohn.  Actually, the statement that the R8 has outsold all
other models of the Leica reflex line was made by Ray Tomaselli, VP and
controller of Leica USA.  This was in response to my question about the
recent poor sales of the R8.  Surprisingly enough, Ray then stated that the
R6.2 has been selling better than the R8.  Ray's original comment about the
R8 was about the first two years sales being well above expectations, but
that current sales are somewhat flat.  I was surprised at how well the R8 had
sold, but I have no reason to doubt what Mr. Tomaselli had to say on this
subject as has to report all these numbers to Germany on a regular basis.
Sal was part of this conversation, but somehow these comments were attributed
to Herr Cohn.
At the LHSA annual meeting in Chicago, I sat next to Herr Cohn at our
banquet.  I made the observation that the R8 was like the previous version of
the S class MB, which also had been a poor seller.  I said the old S class
was too big, too heavy and too expensive.  Herr Cohn understood the analogy
and agreed with me.  I find Herr Cohn to be very bright and a fast learner.
I have been told by other Leica executives that he is very energetic and
keeps up a frenetic pace all day after a trans Atlantic flight.  I was also
told that when he came on board at Leica, he spent time interviewing many of
the employees, from top to bottom to learn everything he could about Leica.
He has the respect of everyone at Leica and has impressed the employees with
his grasp of the situation.
As for Sal, he is a good friend of many years, a great photographer and all
around good guy.  He is an unabashed supporter of Leica and the LHSA.  Please
cut him some slack as he is a LUG newbie and is not wise in its ways yet.
It amazes me that Peter K is on the LUG and not on the Canon list.  He never
has anything good to say about Leica and constantly sings the praises of
Canon.  I am not a "Leica lackey" and I am not blind to Leica's shortcomings,
but I find Peter's rantings to be tiresome.  Even Lucien, one of the nicest
people you'd ever want to know, is flaming Peter.  Lets be constructive in
our suggestions and comments.  And a little more civil in our exchanges on
the LUG!

Bill Rosauer