Subject: [Leica] Nothing lasts forever, but...
From: Jeff S <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 22:58:01 -0700

Rod Fleming wrote:

> And that is why, to get back to the point, I'm depressed. Because I had
> believed that when my trusty F4s die, I would be able to fall back on my
> even trustier F3s, since Nikon, as part of their much-proclaimed ongoing
> support for their manual focus customers, would always maintain production
> of a top-line manual body. And now Mike tells me I won't be able to do that
> after all. So much for Nikon's support. (Last year I had to scrap a
> perfectly good Nikon lens because the aperture ring was damaged, and Nikon
> UK had no spares. (!!!!!) Thank you so much, Mr Nikon.)

Relax, Rod.

I own a 1987 Hasselblad 2000FC/M: I was advised that supplies of parts
could be iffy, that NOS spare electronics might not be good, and that
the trade-in program towards a 200-series body intended to get those old
cameras out of circulation.

Awful news? Maybe not! First of all, I haven't taken the 2000FC/M
parts-availability test as my camera has been trouble-free and if it did
go dead on me and parts weren't available, do you think I'd toss it into
the wastebasket? Not a chance; I'd sell it as a parts camera! I could
certainly choose to keep away from the abyss by buying a 200-series
camera now, but we are talking at least $3,334 for a 202FA which won't
even allow me to choose between lens and focal plane shutters: On the
other hand, I paid $600 for my 2000FC/M which does. The vast amount of
money I am saving right now should handily pay for a 203 or 205 someday,
and these are more logical upgrades for me. That is, if the 2000FC/M
ever breaks and if it isn't easier just to buy another FC/M or FC/W. I
am not going to lose any sleep over this one and I suggest that you do
the same--there are a LOT of F4s and F3s out there, some of which will
probably outlive us all, along with a lot of Canon AE-1s.

Realize also that while your gear is not *officially* serviceable there
are a lot of UNofficial routes as anyone who has had an M3 rangefinder
refurbished might attest. At least in the US of A, I think it's a waste
of time to send older gear such as F2s and MD3s to Nikon; far better to
find a good independent who isn't afraid to subsitute or fabricate
needed parts.
- --

Jeff Segawa
Somewhere in Boulder, Colorado