Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: F3 question : OFF-TOPIC
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 08:18:19 -0500

I recall when I bought my F2 from a friend of mine (this camera hadn't been
used in years), the first thing I did was take it to a repair facility to
have it tested.  The shutter speeds were so out (and there was a problem
called tapering), that they couldn't even establish what the speeds were.
I played with the camera for about a week, clicking the shutter perhaps a
thousand times, and then took it into the local Nikon office.  They checked
out the shutter and found all the speeds to be within spec, except for1
sec, which was off by about 20%.

Is it because the F3 has an electronic shutter that this doesn't happen
with it?

Dan C.

At 10:00 PM 07-02-00 -0800, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

>As long as it hasn't been open to the elements and collecting dust,
>it should make no difference at all to the camera. Nikon uses
>self-lubricating bearings and bits to the greatest degree possible in
>their cameras with very little lubricant, which is usually what
>causes problems as the lubricant ages and gets stiff. The entire
>shutter release and timing mechanism is electronically governed and
>not subject to static deterioration, all the camera's internal
>components are metals and plastics which are highly stable and
>resistant to change (no rubberized cloth shutter curtains, they're a
>titanium foil).
>
>My F3/T was made in '85 and is still in absolutely "as-new"
>condition. I suspect it sat in the box that I bought it in last year
>for more than 10 years, unused. I happened to be by a camera shop on
>a Nikon day when they had a shutter tester so I had the shutter
>tested for accuracy ... it's accuracy is within 0.4% of nominal at
>every speed.
[snip]