Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: The Leica Brick
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 20:14:43 -0500

Bill wrote:

> The problems that remain are in  sales, marketing and product
> development.  It would demonstrate good management technique on the
> part of Herr Cohn if he were to bring in a short term consultant to
> help Leica in the areas in which they still are having problems.  One
> of the characteristics of a good CEO is that he is not afraid to
> bring in the technical help necessary to solve problems.  One good
> consultant should be able to get the job done.  I truly believe that
> Leica has enough talented people to resolve the remaining problems,
> all they need is someone to point them in the proper direction.
>
> My concern is that I do not believe that the problems are not being
> aggressively addressed...Lieca Camera
> has cancer.  If you don't believe that, look at a chart of the stock
> price over the past six months.  I don't understand why Herr Cohn
> does not address these problem more aggressively.

Bill,

I don't mean this in a hostile way, but do you have any facts regarding
what is going on inside Leica or are you merely relying on Leica's stock
price, anecdotes and your external view to draw these conclusions? Stock
prices are not always reliable indicators, as I am sure you know.

A reasonable person might conclude that if Cohn is competent, he has or
is developing and implementing plans to improve the company, which will
not happen overnight. Very few of these plans would be public knowledge.
How have you discovered them?

Your concerns are valid. Your advice is very common sense. What is
missing is hard and likely company-internal facts to support what
appears to be conjecture regarding Cohn's performance.

David W. Almy
Annapolis