Subject: [Leica] Re: The Leica Brick
From: Bill <m6rf@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 15:43:38 -0800 (PST)

Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net> Wrote:

Bill,
I share your concern, but wasn't Herr Cohn brought in 'to make things

happen'?
If he now brings in someone else to do that job, isn't there a danger
this
new/other guy will feel that he can only implement it by bringing in
another guy 'to make things happen' for him?
Question being, where does the buck stop?
Jem

Hi Jem,

Herr Cohn was brought in to turn Leica Camera around.  To his credit,
he has reduced spending and streamlined the manufacturing process.

The problems that remain are in  sales, marketing and product
development.  It would demonstrate good management technique on the
part of Herr Cohn if he were to bring in a short term consultant to
help Leica in the areas in which they still are having problems.  One
of the characteristics of a good CEO is that he is not afraid to
bring in the technical help necessary to solve problems.  One good
consultant should be able to get the job done.  I truly believe that
Leica has enough talented people to resolve the remaining problems,
all they need is someone to point them in the proper direction.

My concern is that I do not believe that the problems are not being
aggressively addressed.  If you are a doctor, you don't treat cancer
by giving the patient 2 aspirin twice a day.  You go after it
aggressively with every medical weapon in your arsenal.  Lieca Camera
has cancer.  If you don't believe that, look at a chart of the stock
price over the past six months.  I don't understand why Herr Cohn
does not address these problem more aggressively.

One thing you can be sure of, if Herr Cohn doesn't eliminate the
problem, the problem will eliminate Herr Cohn.

That's the long answer to your short question.

Kind regards,

Bill Erfurth
m6rf@yahoo.com